Granada is a city in western Nicaragua and the capital of the Granada Department. With an estimated population of 123,697 (2012), it is Nicaragua’s sixth most populous city. Granada is historically one of Nicaragua’s most important cities, economically and politically. It has a rich colonial heritage, seen in its architecture and structure.
Granada had a thriving Indigenous population. In 1524, the city was renamed Granada, by Francisco Hernández de Córdoba, ostensibly the first European city in mainland America. Unlike other cities that claim the same distinction, the city of Granada was not only the settlement of the conquest, but also a city registered in official records of the Crown of Aragon, and the Kingdom of Castile in Spain.
Granada is also known as La Gran Sultana, in reflection of its Moorish and Andalusian appearance, unlike its sister city and historical rival León, which displays Castilian trends.
(Pictures taken in 2014)
The Our Lady of the Assumption Cathedral (Spanish: Catedral de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción) also called Granada Cathedral is a neoclassical Catholic cathedral located in Granada, Nicaragua, roughly 25 miles southeast of Managua.
The first cathedral temple was built around 1525 with tapicel and rafaz stone, brick, lime and straw roof. By 1578, the church had already been burned twice. Seven years later, in 1585, it started to become known colloquially as “La Iglesia Bonita,” or “The Beautiful Church.” The second temple was completed in about 1751 with lime, stone, and brick.
In 1916, the iron frame intended for the central dome was brought from the United States, only three years after the Diocese of Granada was created by the Roman Catholic Church.
The cathedral as it stands today was completed in its entirety in 1972, with a total area of 3,614.87 m².